Wine always tastes better in the cellar, especially if it is served by the winemaker itself. Beyond classical wine tastings wineries can fascinate their visitors in a thousand ways. Kristinus Estate in South Balaton operates a bistro, offers some lovely rooms to stay, organizes unforgettable events, but they also have a rarity: a functioning cinema, where instead of coke guests can sip bubbly wine while watching a movie. In this category we expect articles with outstanding examples in the topic of wine tourism introducing one or more wineries or an entire wine region.
Kristinus Wine Estate – a Balaton estate for adventure seekers
Our winery, situated on the slopes of the southern shores of Lake Balaton, has been producing award-winning wines since 2005. Kristinus Wine Estate welcomes its guests with cuisine which will appeal to fine-dining enthusiasts, a unique cinema, an event venue and a wine hotel. Our winery, located ten minutes from Balatonmáriafürdő, offers convivial concerts and atmospheric dinners, as well as wine tasting of an impressive array of wines, of course.
What is a better representation of the South Balaton terroir than the wine repertoire of Kristinus? In addition to elegance, every drop of this unique selection – dominated by French varieties – preserves depth, a sense of ease, the taste of sunshine, the zest of the soil and all the characteristics of the Balaton Region at the same time. Do you believe that a rosé can contain the turquoise of the lake? Can you imagine a light-bodied white transporting you into the deep? Would you trust a full-bodied red wine as your travel companion? Taste our wine and all your questions will be answered.
The vineyard’s white wine assortment: Chardonnay, Irsai Olivér, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, Furmint and Muscat Lunel.
The vineyard’s red wine assortment: Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Pinot Noir, Blaufränkisch and Zweigelt.
The mission of our wine estate is to protect the grapes and the environment for the next generation and for the whole world and also to reduce our ecological footprint. Our purpose is to serve as examples and produce our excellent quality wines in the spirit of sustainability and of biodinamic farming.
All in all, in each drop of our Kristinus wines originated from different slopes there is mistery and the nectars carry within the characteristics of our slopes.
Our basic services include tasting of fine wines and winery tours. Taste the Kristinus wine specialties in our own winery! Learn about the stages of winemaking, the secrets of reductive and barrique wines and let our wine specialist introduce you to the world of crisp acidity and smooth tannins.
In addition, we are glad to arrange carriage rides, golf, hot air balloon flight, sailing, fast boat rides and transfers to nearby baths. The winery is pleased to put its ‘Kristinus Bus’ at the disposal of its guests.
- The absolute winner of all the three categories will receive an all inclusive trip to Hungary on 14–17 August 2019 as described on the main page.
- The winning article of the category will be published on hungarianwines.eu.
- The winner of the category will receive an electronic badge that he or she can place on the website.
- The winner of the category will receive a voucher which entitles him or her for a 1 night stay for 2 persons at Kristinus Vinotel.
- The winner of the category can participate in the study tour organized on 14–17 August 2018. The trip includes transfers between the venues, accommodation, meals, tastings. A special feature of the study tour is a visit to Kristinus Wine Estate at Lake Balaton.
- All the three finalists (including the winner) of the category will receive a Kristinus wine selection and a ticket for the concert of Bagossy Brothers Company at Kristinus Wine Estate on 21 September, 2019.
- All the three finalists of the category will receive an invitation to the award ceremony event on 16 August.
An experienced, award-winning journalist, editor and scriptwriter. Current projects include trying to save rare winegrapes from extinction. Apart from writing, he has first hand experience on winemaking from his Slovenian wine estate. He is a editor of IWC Canopy, the online publication of the word famous wine contest, International Wine Challenge.
Fintan Kerr DipWSET is a WSET qualified wine educator and writer based in Barcelona, Spain. In 2019 he won Millésima Blog Award in Food & Wine Pairing category. Specialising in Spanish wine, Fintan spends his days teaching about the wonderful world of wine, and enjoying a glass or three along the way!
She worked as editor-in-chief of VinCE Magazine for 12 years, and she was chief organizer of the first 7 editions of VinCE Budapest Wine Show. Since October 2016 she has been editor-in-chief of hungarianwines.eu. An article of hungarianwines.eu was chosen winner of Wine report category by Millesima Blog Award in 2017. A founding member of the Hungarian Circle of Winewriters.